Thursday 21 January 2010

To plan or not to plan

I did it! I made a start. I hit my first 1000 word target. Okay it might be complete garbage but at least it's down.

I think one of the problems I've had lately is my complete inability to plan this version of the novel.

Normally I make a list of chapters - I start with a sentence describing each. I then expand the sentences to paragraphs. So by the time I come to write it I already know what's happening. One benefit is that you can get a good feel for the shape of the novel from this chapter plan.

But for some reason my current magnum opus refuses to be planned. Don't get me wrong, I have a broad outline in my head, but it's all rather sketchy. I know how it starts - the first 2 or 3 scenes - but after that...?

It's new territory for me. I'm just not used to "winging it". The idea of starting out and just seeing where it goes is slightly unnerving!

I know one or two scenes that feature later in the story...though I don't know where. If I get stuck then I will still have something to work on, but that in itself causes problems. I'm used to starting on page 1 and working through to the end. That's a hard habit to break... a hard mentality to change. But I'm also aware of my short term audience. As I said before I send each chunk that I write to a friend and I confess there's a bit of pressure (imposed entirely by myself) to write in sequence for the benefit of that reader. I can't see that being possible this time around so that will be two of us adjusting to a new approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment